Bangkok Blogging... the saga continues

life in the City of Angels, career achievements, and journey with joey, my dear hubby

Saturday, June 19, 2004

Joey's Second Bangkok Visit



June was indeed a happy month for me. After seeing each other last January 2004, we scheduled June as Joey's visit here in Bangkok. And the visit was crucial since we will officially start our wedding preparations which has to start right with THE PAMANHIKAN. Plus, this will be the first time everybody important in my life will meet him -- my relatives, the Community, my Saatchi friends, not to mention the reunion with our highschool batchmates!

Joey arrived June 17, 1030 pm via Thai Airways. I was so harrassed that day going in and out of meetings but I managed to go the airport an hour before. I waited for him at Terminal 2 with so much anticipation. I had my XDA on camera mode ready to snap his photo as soon as I see him. Hmmmn, but almost an hour has passed and still no Joey in sight. So I decided to go to Terminal 1. Ha ha ha! He was there, looking intently for me from the crowd. I saw his anxious eyes hoping to see my face he has missed for so many months! I ran towards him, kissed and hugged him tight and everything was alright. And boy, did he look great! He lost a lot of weight and he looked more handsome than ever... sigh.

Joey stayed with me in Bangkok until June 24. We have to be in Manila from June 25 - July 2. Then back to Bangkok again for sone last minute shopping then he has to go back July 4 to LA. We had fun in Bangkok despite my hectic schedule. Projects are coming in here and there and I have new staff joining. So I was caught in between of juggling my work and Joey. But, Joey, angel as he is, helped me managed everything. He even helped me with some of my projects -- typing and doing some research.

The fun part was that he was able to meet my Thai colleagues again who joined the welcome dinner with him at Bar B.Q. ICHIBANG, a Korean BBQ and grill restaurant at Lang Suan. We had nice dinner with Ben, Hui, Palm, Lynne, Jaja, Kij and Khun Viraj. After dinner, we went to this ice cream place to chat some more.

We parted ways nearly midnight while Joey and I ran to EGV Cinema at Big C Central World Plaza to catch the last full show of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Pamanhikan - the asking of the girl's parents' permission to wed the affianced pair.The 'blueprint' of the wedding plans are drawn or made known on this occasion. The pamanhikan is often hosted by the bride's family where the groom and his parents set to visit the bride's family to formally ask her hand in marriage and discuss plans for the upcomming wedding over lunch or dinner. This can be a real uneasy situation if it's the first time for both sets of parents to meet. The groom- and bride-to-be may feel a little awkward (nervous even) seeing and listening to each parents consult each other face-to-face on matters like their wedding budget, guest list and the likes. Why bother with all the trouble? Filipinos seek their folk's blessings for a happy and hassle-free marriage. Afterall, pamanhikan is a treasured Filipino heritage which, first and foremost, avoids an awkward situation having the parents see each other as strangers come wedding day.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home